Sunday, January 28, 2007

Revisiting Crochet

My Lola (Filipino for grandmother) taught me how to crochet back in elementary school. I used to sit beside her on her bed watching her nimble fingers handle the hook so smoothly and transform the yarn into cushion covers and blankets. One day, I asked her to teach me. I still remember the grey hook and bright yellow ball of yarn she gave me. She taught me how to weave the yarn through my fingers and how to hold the hook. So for a week or so I was occupied with making a giant chain. It was about 3 meters long and I was so proud of it and so was my Lola. I didn't pursue the hobby after I was unsuccessful at learning new stitches. I was impatient and couldn't be bothered doing the counting.

In the middle of my pregnancy to Alex, I had an urge to make something for the baby. Off I went to Spotlight and bought some white balls of baby yarn and a yellow one. With the help of my mom, I was able to complete a small baby blanket. Alex did use it for about a month, until it got caught onto something and stated to unravel. I was so proud of that blanket, it was so soft.

After what happened to the blanket, I couldn't be bothered with crochet again. Until I discovered (through the internet) the many things that you could crochet. Motivated to pick up the hook again, I searched for the easiest pattern. My grandmother never consulted patterns, she would just wing it. At the moment, I am completing the edging on this scarf. I was surprised at how quickly it took form.

It's not the prettiest yarn but I am determined to use up what I have before I go out and buy more stuff. Doing this simple project has given me the confidence to continue this craft. Even though my Lola is no longer here to teach me, I am able to learn more about crochet through this wonderful medium which is the internet. And more importantly, I will be able to teach my children a craft that their great-grandmother loved. My Lola would be proud of me.

No comments: