Saturday, December 9, 2006

Reverse Garbage

I first learnt about Reverse Garbage in high school, my art teacher recommended that I visit since my artworks were mainly mixed media. It's a treasure trove. It is divided into 2 sections, a marketplace for individually priced items and a bagging section. They have things ranging from huge rolls of plain paper (great for kids) to paint, tiles, clean and unused bottles, perspex, baskets, tin film cannisters...the list is long. With fingers crossed, my mom and I bundled the kids into the car and made our way to Marrickville. Sometimes you can be lucky and other times you can leave disappointed, it's a bit like thrift shopping. Mom was looking for small gifts to give to her group of friends. Last year they had a whole tub of shopping totes and she bought 15 of them. I made a beeline for the fabrics.

Unlike the other times I have visited the fabric bins were full to the brim. I was able to score these beautiful pieces which were not even scrappy but full rectangle and square shapes. I should have stuffed more into my bag, at least 4 more pieces could have fit, but being the first time I have bought stuff in the 'bagging area' I was scared that they might say that it was too full iykwim (I later discovered that they encourage bags to be full to the point of no air space! doh!). The grey fabric on the left is a heavy cotton and it is huge, the next 4 are sheer and perfect for curtains the grey/green one with white stripes is beautiful and soft, I will made cushion covers out of them (might go back tomorrow or monday to scoop up the rest) and the last is a delicious green vinyl. I've never seen fabrics like this at spotlight or local craft stores, I think they would be pricey.

I picked up these three cones I'm not sure if it's wool but I'm planning to use them for gift wrapping and other crafts, unfortunately I am not a knitter!

I also stuffed in some small pieces to embellish some of my projects. Not bad for $5.00 a bag.

It's such a nice day in Sydney town. We will be having breakfast with Santa tomorrow it should be fun for the kids. Speaking of which I captured this moment today:

Cami is finally a year old and they are starting to play and share. My mom was right, the more the kids the happier the home. But I think I'll stop at 2 kids, it's just enough for me :o).

No comments: