Friday, December 8, 2006

"We are a rock revolving, under the golden sun..."

We went into the City last Sunday and instead of purchasing a craft book at Kinokuniya I had a bit of a browse and discovered some interior decorating magazines. The one that I settled on has about 12 home samples and I just love the styles and organisational ideas. It's like a craft book but without the instructions. Inspired by the magazine I set out and made a cover for the toy shelf. I want a more neutral look for the house and I've been on a cover/cozy spree.


This is what the shelf normally looks like. I've rolled up the cover and it's being held up by 2 loops of elastic hooked onto 2 buttons.


I made it out of lined (blockout) curtain fabric that was on sale for $4.00 a mt at Lincraft. I also used up some of the vintage bias binding, buttons and ric rac that I scored at St. Vinnies.


Detail of the trim

I'm very pleased with the result, not only because it covers up the toys but as the saying goes, "Out of sight, out of mind". The kids have forgotten about the toys being there which means less mess to clean up - for now anyway.

Summer has just begun and with it comes bushfire season. The year Alex was born, we had to stay indoors because of the smoke, and we live in the City. The farmers are doing it tough, experiencing the worst drought on record, this only makes it tougher. It's another reminder that we should all do our little bit to slow down global warming.

No comments: