Monday, January 1, 2007

It's a New Year


The sands of Shoal Bay, with the entrance to Port Stephens in the background, Yaccaba on the left and Tomaree on the right.

We returned safely from our holiday on New Years Eve. It was the first time in 3 years that DH had a week off. The girls had such a blast and we were at the beach everyday. DH found a coupon in their local newspaper for dolphin watching at the kids fare of $9.90. Kids under 5 were free, so we only paid $19.80 for the both of us, which is the normal full fare. It was lucky that we caught the earliest trip as there were only about 20 of us on board so we were able to scuttle about according to where the dolphins would pop up.

Nelson Head and the beginning of Shoal Bay. We had private access to this side of the beach.

Alex is very fearful of the water, It's very frustrating! I was trying to teach her how to float and she kept on screaming, I can't blame her though because I remember when my dad used to take me into the water and I used to cling on for dear life. I think I'll have to look up some learn to swim classes for both the girls while it's summer.


Fingal Bay at low tide. Can you see the strip of sand linking the beach to the island? That's Fingal spit, and you could walk across it at low tide. We didn't do it because there was no way that I could carry Cami all the was along the beach AND across the water. Besides, all I could think about was that scene from The Ten Commandments where Moses parts the sea and then it tumbles on all of the Pharoh's men.

It was our first family holiday, and even the first time DH and I went away together. It was a positive experience and it was soooo good to get away from the stress of city life. We're already starting to plan our next trip up to the Gold Coast. Alex will be starting school next year. I'm feeling a little nervous about this since here in Sydney it seems we only have a choice between Public or Catholic school. It's like I'm going to lose control over her and her mind will be corrupted with what her teachers and peers say. I've read that some bloggers home-school their children, I have no idea how that would work but it sounds appealing to me.

r e s o l u t i o n s

1. Be more PATIENT

2. Eat more wholesome organic food, start a vege patch.

3. Make more of an effort to keep in touch

4. As DH said last night, "Time doesn't stop". Make the most of everyday.

No comments: