Sunday, January 7, 2007

Click click click

No, I'm not referring to the clicking of the mouse, but to knitting needles! My grandmother taught me how to crochet back in primary school but no one in my family knew how to knit. I'm just one of those people who likes to know how things are made. I like to be able to have the skills to do something if inspiration strikes.

So after seeing so many beautiful knitted projects in various blogs I really wanted to try it! I borrowed a couple of knitting books from my local library and bought a cheap ball of acrylic wool to practice with. That wool was so nasty, and never again, I vowed to myself, would I knit with cheapo wool, unless the project calls for it. Self striping yarn looks so good, and often it's used for making socks, I asked for any kind of sock yarn at local craft stores but they all told me to go into the city. Luckily, I decided to try and look for some sort of colourful yarn at Lincraft and alas! Hidden in a tub of only-one-left balls of yarn I scored a ball of Paton's Patonyle sock yarn! For only au$3.99! I later saw it online for au$7.60.




Being the easiest project, I decided to use the yarn to make a scarf for Alex. I go a bit over excited and started off with some rows of garter stitch before breaking into a rib pattern. Needless to say, the scarf flares out at the ends because I didn't consider the fact that the rib would gather together. It took me about 2 weeks to complete, some days I was only able to knit one row, others I would find myself in a twilight zone and suddenly have completed 50. I have to admit though, it was fun, tiring and time consuming compared to crochet, but fun.


Cami was supposed to model it for me but as I put it on she squealed with a mischievous delight and ran away.



Here it is on Alex. As you can see, the rib has made it curl up and it wasn't my intention to make a skinny scarf. Ah well, at least it's cozy. Alex is also wearing one of her own creations. I bought her a set of children's beads for Christmas and she made quite a few bracelets and necklaces. Only 2 have survived the jewellery stretching monster that is Cami.

I'll end with a detail of our hedge in the front garden. It's finally Summer in Sydney, with temps of 35Celsius.

I hope it's also beautiful where you are today.

1 comment:

Crafty Doll said...

Hi Sara! I'm sorry it took me so long to respond back to your post. I haven't been good about updating my blog or messaging others, as a matter of fact. In any event, I just want to say that this is nice blog you have going on here. :) Cute scarf btw. Looks great for a "beginner" project. ;)